Trough: As in "A long, narrow depression, as between waves" not of the food variety!!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

CanToo 2010/2011

The author, Henry Miller once said  Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognise it as such.” 

This "living in the moment" can be really hard to do in reality....in 2010 I've had plenty of moments where I had trouble scratching through the surface to find the golden moments.  The thing is though, they are there and I just need to always remind myself that this is what nails were invented for...if you stop biting them long enough to use them!! 

Completing the Cantoo Ocean Swim program in 2009/2010 was truly a golden moment for me.  The sense of achievement from realizing my goals as well as the enormous satisfaction of raising not just my "base" level of funds for Cure Cancer but doubling that figure was hugely gratifying...and I had all my loyal supporters to thank.

In signing up for this program I am excited (and terrified) about re-doing the Palm to Whale Swim despite knowing the toll it takes on my body (if you haven't read about it, click here) and I'm also really motivated to achieve my fundraising target once again.

Our "pod" leader last year was Richard.  During the course of the program his mum came in to speak to us.  She had very advanced cancer and was quite frail.  Her pride in Richard was accompanied by her gratitude and respect for what we were doing...go figure!  I felt humbled to have met such a brave woman...and it motivated me even more.

Cherie lost her battle with cancer in April this year.  In doing the program again this year I will be thinking of her and all the other friends and family that I have who have been touched by cancer.

Cherie was one of those people that Henry Miller was talking about - she always behaved like she was having a golden moment.   You can watch Cherie in action here


No comments:

Post a Comment